History of Northwood Deaconess Health Center

Timeline

  • 1902 - Eli Thingelstad farm home donated for use as home for aged. However, was first used for hospital.

  • 1908 - New brick Hospital.

  • 1909 - Training school for nurses was opened. It closed in 1912 due to financial conditions.

  • 1910 - Thingelstad home remodeled for use as a Home for the Aged.

  • 1913 - A new stucco building was erected for old folks.

  • 1914 - The NORTHWOOD EMISSAEREN was launched.

  • 1919 - The Thingelstad building was moved to the back of the new addition. 

  • - A nurses' home was built adjacent to the hospital.

  • 1921 - Training school for nurses closed due to financial conditions.

  • 1922 - During World War I, because of financial troubles, it was necessary to close the hospital for a few months. One floor was used temporarily to house people seeking admission to the old people's home.

  • 1924 - The hospital and home were consolidated.

  • - A large barn was built and equipped with stanchions for twenty-five cows. Due to health regulations, it was eventually dismantled.

  • 1928 - Completely equipped a nursery.

  • 1930 - The depression nearly caused the hospital to close. The Northwood Civic Club formed an association to conduct it as a community hospital. Financial help from the surrounding community met with success.

  • 1934 - A bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Anton Swarstad of Grand Forks was received and was used to build a chapel in 1936 at a cost of $10,000.

  • - Management was resumed by the Northwood Deaconess Hospital and Home Association.

  • 1937 - Hospitalization insurance was introduced.

  • 1940 - General remodeling was done to include new front entry.

  • 1942 - Membership in the North Dakota Hospital Association.

  • 1943 - Elevator installed.

  • 1945 - A new laboratory.

  • 1954 - A remodeling project which produced a clinic in the basement area of the hospital.

  • 1956 - A new addition to the nursing home (now the residential section).

  • 1957 - The old nursing home underwent major improvements.

  • 1965 - A new sixty-six bed nursing home was ready.

  • 1966 - Medicare program was adopted.

  • 1967 - Hill-Burton grant was applied for.

  • 1971 - A new hospital (through gifts and the Hill-Burton Grant).

  • 1972 - Clinic remodeled.

  • 1974 - NDC 100 started.

  • 1981 - Far West wing added to nursing home.

  • 1982 - Office and activities area enlarged.

  • 1984 - Swing Bed services developed (hospital beds for long term care).

  • 1985 - Home Care service.

  • - Larimore Satellite Clinic established.

  • 1986 - Medical Alert services began.

  • - Respite Care began.

  • 1988 - Endowment Fund established

  • 1989 - Hospice Care began.

  • - Dr. Robert H. DeLano Nursing Scholarship established.

  • 1990 - CNA training program established. Later discontinued.

  • - Delicensing of Basic Care.

  • 1991 - Dakota Unit third floor apartments ready for occupancy.

  • 1993 - Prairie Rose (Special Care/Alzheimer Unit) opens.

  • 1994 - Facility name changed to Northwood Deaconess Health Center.

  • - Women’s Health Program established.

  • 1995 - Home Care affiliated with United Home Care.

  • - Adult Day Care services established.

  • - Hatton Clinic opened.

  • - Audrey Mandt Nursing Scholarship established.

  • 1996 - Second floor of Dakota Unit completely remodeled into apartments.

  • - New clinic built.

  • 1997 - Old clinic area remodeled into Rehab Dept. Upstairs occupied by Home Care.

  • 1999 - Home Care services turned over to Altru Home Care.

  • - Rehab Department entryway remodeled, including installation of a lift (small elevator).

  • 2001 - Remodeling of the long-term care facility began, including the addition of small dining rooms.

  • - Hatton Clinic closed.

  • 2002 - Remodeling was completed. 

4 North Park Street ~ Northwood, ND 58267

Tel: (701) 587-6060

  • Facebook - Grey Circle